Tuesday, April 5, 2011

American Duchess:Historical Costuming: Historical Costuming vs. Historical Re-Enactment: ...

A friend of mine recently posted this to her blog and i thought this topic might be a good place to start. I am both a historical costumer AND a historical re-enactor. Every time i begin a project i decide how important historical accuracy is to me for that individual garment. There are many times i will purposefully change things or do something odd or different. This is because i have my roots in theatrical costume. For example many of my "fashion" pieces have 1/2" seam allowances. No, this is not to industry standards but i find it makes it easier for my to fit the garment to different models. With each project i show you, i will talk about my decisions on historical accuracy. If i am wrong, then i am wrong, but different isn't always wrong or bad.

American Duchess:Historical Costuming: Historical Costuming vs. Historical Re-Enactment: ...: "A re-enactor would never be caught dead in modern sunglasses and inaccurate mary jane shoes I'll be honest with you guys. This morni..."

No comments:

Post a Comment